Tuesday, 7 August 2012

The Year that Changed Britain

Now, I am aware that we are only 8 months into 2012, but we've passed the half-way mark, which means it will be December before we know it.

As cliche as it may sound, this year has truly made me realise what a wonderful place Great Britain is. Through the many celebrations which have taken place here during 2012, we have been brought together as a country and, I think I can speak for the majority of people, I have never been so proud to call myself British.

I have always been a huge fan of the royal family, particularly Prince Harry, and even in 2011 we found ourselves glued to our TV screens awaiting the marriage of Kate and Wills. This year, the Queens Jubilee made a huge impact on the British public, with street parties across the country, crowds gathering across the streets of London to show their support and traditional English foods and beverages being marketed across retail outlets (the list could go on). This alone was enough for me to realise what a fantastic country we live in...

...But then came the Olympics. For months we have been unable to escape this event, and that is advertising alone. Of course, what could be a more perfect opportunity to entice the British consumer? I have to admit, I have never been the biggest follower of sport, however it would seem rude to ignore a once in a lifetime experience which is happening right under our noses! And, with all this new found British pride inside me, I have even found myself edging off my seat with anticipation and screaming at the TV screen. The opening ceremony of the Olympic Games was truly spectacular, bringing a tear to my eye, and I have to say, I expect the closing ceremony will be equally as emotional, but mainly because I will be gutted it's all over!





2012 will be a year that stays with us for along time. A year that brought us together as a country. A year that brought other countries to us. A year that made us proud.

2 comments:

  1. great blog!
    you are nominated on my blog for the Liebster Award.. http://elliebeaa.blogspot.com :)
    x x

    ReplyDelete